Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Car Door: Close it Once in a While

I’m driving and I make a right turn down a street that is the width of a sidewalk. Because of the size of the street, I decide to go only 50 miles an hour instead of 60 in a 35 mile an hour zone. After all, I want to be safe and not run over anyone.

All of a sudden I have to slam on my brakes. Why? Because some fool has his car door wide open for absolutely no apparent reason.

Car doors should be opened for one reason only: to allow passengers and the driver to exit the car. Your car door doesn’t need to be open while you wait for a friend. You do not need to open your car door if you want to pour molded coffee out of your cup. Your car door doesn’t need to be open to yell at a neighbor across the street (unless you want to fight the neighbor and need to exit the car.) If you are curious about the weather outside, you don’t need to open your car door.

One day I’m going to forget to go 50 miles an hour in a 35 mile an hour zone. I’m going to go my usual 70 miles an hour and hit your door. Then you will have a car with no door. Maybe I’ll be liable. Maybe I won’t but you will remember to close your door in the future.

No comments: